NEW BGA MEMBER BENEFIT!
The BGA Executive Council is always looking for ways to improve the standing of baristas and offer more to our membership. We are very excited to announce a new benefit for our members we hope will be of great personal benefit to many of our members.
BGA members now have the opportunity to purchase Health Insurance at discounted rates through access to a group provider. Our partner is Association Health Programs (AHP), who offer access to top notch health insurance programs nationwide. They currently represent 2.5 million people which helps bring down the cost for individuals, like our members. The BGA is excited to offer this opportunity to our members because we realize that they don’t always have access to health insurance through their employers and that buying insurance on your own can be expensive. If you are interested in this benefit please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get all the info.
Answers to some frequently asked questions:
1. Can coverage offered through the carriers represented by AHP be accessed throughout the United States?
2. Will all doctors and hospitals that accept insurance work with these carriers?
3. Does the individual health insurance program cover pre-existing conditions?
Yes, on insurable conditions such as asthma, high blood pressure, cholesterol … No, on uninsurable conditions such as heart problems, malignant cancers, strokes, Crohn’s, diabetes… AHP can direct members to state health plans for those considered uninsurable and/or provide coverage for a limited medical policy.
4. Do pre-existing conditions affect the insurability of an individual policy? Do they also affect the premium rates?
Yes, each case is individually underwritten. Pre-existing conditions can cause a rate increase at the time of application. Rates cannot be increased due to future medical conditions after the policy is effective.
5. Are members required to take a health examination before applying for a policy?
6. Do I need to be a current BGA member to get the information and benefits of these policies?
Yes, you must be a member to take advantage of this benefit program.
7. Will the BGA/SCAA have access to my personal information?
No, they simply connect you with AHP.
8. Do I have to be employed to get/retain my health plan?
No, your coverage is valid as long as you pay the premiums.